Thursday, April 30, 2009

Break-Fast

The fast has been broken. Well, it didn’t end today actually, it was yesterday to be honest…yup, Tuesday night about 8:00 p.m. In the end, I consumed nothing but fresh vegetable and fruit juices for 48 straight hours.

While that doesn’t seem like a long time in comparison to other fasts I’ve read about, it sure seemed long…long enough to form an opinion, anyway.

After reading up on it, participating in it, and considering the opinions of ALL of my loyal readers, here’s what I think – in no particular order:

1. Most veggie juice is absolutely delicious, and I will be working a lot more of it into my regular diet. Certain green combos are bitter, but if you balance it out with some tastier things, you’ll be in good shape. I will certainly share any especially tasty combos that I come up with.

2. Wheatgrass: Had a two-ounce shot of it at a juice bar. During the thirty seconds that it was dancing around my taste buds, it went from tasty, to not tasty, to “what the fuck?” and back again about ten times. Interesting stuff.

3. There are two types of juicers: Masticating and Centrifugal…I have centrifugal…you should get masticating. It took three minutes to prep my veggies for juicing, one minute to juice them, and seventeen minutes to clean the juicer. Apparently the masticating versions are quieter, more efficient, preserve nutrients better, and are way easier to clean. Here’s a comparison.

4. While on such a fast, weird shit happens…literally.

5. I certainly feel good, but not a whole lot better than usual. Midway through Tuesday, I was very tired (and hungry, naturally), and didn’t do much…happens every time I quit smoking, the body detoxing, I believe. Sitting here on a Thursday night, I’m definitely in the “danger zone.” About now I’d be picking up a bottle of wine and a pack of you know what, but I’m not really feeling the urg…umm…lets change the subject....yeah…let’s do that.

My Final Thoughts:

Considering my experience and what I’ve read, I think I won’t do this, or anything like it again. As I said in my initial post about this, I’ve always been skeptical of these fasts and detoxes, which is why it’s taken me so long to try…they always seemed unnatural to me. Here, purging nicotine from my system was the spark for this whole thing, and I don't know what effect it has had. If it did nothing more than get me used to juicing regularly, I think it was a success, and the rest will work itself out.

I believe (as Kay and Dracenea commented below) our bodies are designed to clean themselves, naturally. However, if you are someone who consumes a lot of unnatural things like pesticide-laden, hormone-injected, refined, processed foods, and animal products, then maybe a rush of raw veggies and juices might do you some good – give you a jump start to make a change. But if you’re eating the things that humans are designed to eat (as I have done for over 2 ½ years), this type of thing I do not believe is necessary.

So that’s it, if you’ve got any other questions or comments about this or something I may have missed, I’d love to hear ‘em.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, don't think I'll be trying wheatgrass any time soon. And due to your #5 about number 2, I don't think I'll be "juicing" any time soon either. In that sentence, "juicing" seemed like an appropriate fit. I'm such a child sometimes.

    As far as the nicotine stuff goes, I've heard that it's super easy to go cold turkey when you have a cold. But considering you eat so darn healthy, I doubt you get sick very often. I got it! Try a trip to Mexico, come back and trade in the nicotine for Tamiflu! I'm a genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, "juicing" indeed. Didn't want to get to graphic, but you got the idea. It's true I rarely get sick. I am doing pretty well. Had a slip-up this weekend, but I'm right back on the wagon. Mexico will be last resort..great idea though, makes perfect sense to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait, you smoke now? Nastyyyyyy. Just the thought of how unattractive you are to me now should be enough to quit :)

    Much Love.

    ReplyDelete